Enrollment Lottery & Family Notification
- Wednesday, February 23, 2022: Enrollment Lottery
- The 2022 Enrollment Lottery will take place on Wednesday, February 23 at 9:30 am at the Student Union building. At the lottery, York Prep will utilize a computer program that completes the random selections. Each applicant will be assigned a lottery number by the computer program. Families are welcome to attend the lottery drawing but will not be notified of the lottery results until Friday, February 25, 2022. The enrollment lottery will start at 9:30 am and should take no more than 10 minutes.
- Friday, February 25, 2022: Notification Day
- Parents will receive an email with the lottery results on Friday, February 25 by 12 noon. If parents call in prior to 12 noon, they will not be able to receive information on lottery results. We cannot post the results on our website due to privacy.
How will families be notified of the lottery results?
Families will receive a seated or waitlist email on Friday, February 25, 2022 by 12 noon.
- Seated Email: If a child receives an open spot in the lottery, the family will receive an acceptance email stating their child was selected for the 2022/23 school year. Families will also receive an additional email with step-by-step instructions to complete the online registration with a deadline date for completion.
- Wait List Email: In the event that York Prep has more applications than openings in a grade level, that grade level will have a wait list. Families who receive a wait list email should save that email for future use. Within the email, there will be a clickable link that allows the family to see their student's current wait list number. This number will change as enrollment openings become available.
Information on the Waiting Lists
York Preparatory Academy has an enrollment cap of 130 students per grade level. When the number of applicants exceeds the number of enrollment openings, York Prep will be on a wait list. York Prep will continue to fill openings from our wait list throughout the 2022-23 school year.
- How is the wait list established through the lottery?
- The enrollment lottery will include all applications received from October 15, 2021- February 15, 2022 and will be randomly selected without regard to application date. Students will be placed on the enrollment lists by grade level in the order they were selected in the lottery. Priority students will be placed at the top of the grade level list according to their lottery number.
- How quickly does the waiting lists move?
- Wait lists are separated by grade level and each move at their own pace. Grades like Kindergarten, 6th and 9th tend to move faster than other wait lists, but every grade level and enrollment year is different.
What is the priority policy?
Policy: Pursuant to SC Charter School law, York Prep will afford priority enrollment status to siblings of a pupil currently enrolled and attending, children of charter school employees and board members, and siblings of York Prep graduates. Priority enrollment status does not guarantee any student admission to YPA, as acceptance remains based on space availability in each applicable grade.
Priority Change for Student Withdrawing on or after 5/2/19: If an applicant has previously withdrawn as a student from York Preparatory Academy, this applicant will no longer be eligible for priority status. The applicant may reapply to York Prep but will not be granted priority status to allow other applicants an equal opportunity to attend. Should a family seek to withdraw their student(s) in order to pursue a unique life opportunity (such as study abroad, etc.) they may preserve their priority status by meeting with the Managing Director PRIOR to the withdrawal from school to fill out a request to do so. The signed request must be on file PRIOR to the student withdrawing from school in order to preserve the priority status.
Can I apply after February 15, 2022?
Yes. York Preparatory Academy continues to take applications on our website year round. Families who apply after February 15, 2022 will be placed on our wait list in the order they apply after the lottery applicants.
Questions? Please contact Brooke Bruner at email@example.com.