Thursday, May 11th
Student Union @ 6:00
Call Time: 5:15 - Students need to wear their navy band t-shirt or navy polo
PROGRAM FOR THURSDAY NIGHT
INSTRUMENT RENTAL NIGHT
3:30 to 6:00 in the Band Room
Forms and Documents
Buying New Online?
Brands to Look for
Band Method's Book
All Students will need these book. You can order them online or you can visit any local music store.
Choose the book that corresponds with the instrument in which your child plays. Baritone/Euphonium players will need Baritone BC
BAND FUNDAMENTALS by Jason Hedrick ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS
Students playing Trumpet and Trombone will need to provide their instrument.
Students playing Baritone and Tuba will be given an Instrument Usage Agreement Form that must be signed and turned in before they are allowed to use the school's instrument. Students using a school instrument will be assigned a mouth piece in which only that student will use and be responsible for.
- Students will need to purchase a pair of Sticks (preferably Vic First SD1) and a Drum Pad to bring to class everyday. The school will provide the drums for them to play on during class.
Other Classroom Materials
Other than using their method's books, students will also receive sheet music. They will need a binder to place such things in.
Students who play the flute, clarinet and alto saxophone will need to provide their own instrument.
- Clarinet and Saxophone students will need to purchase a couple or a box of reeds.
- Students playing mallets will have the opportunity to check out a set of bells from the school to practice at home. Students playing mallets will need to purchase the following mallets.
M 70 (Marimba)
M 132 (Xylophone)
"Join Band" Presentation
Band Room Procedures
1. Students are to come to class prepared; bring necessary items for instruction and learning (sticks, pads, instrument, music, reeds, valve oil, etc.)
2. Students are asked to enter the Students Union using the double doors furthest away from the Middle School.
3. Students are asked to use the restroom and get water while entering the Students Union BEFORE class. Students will NOT be allowed to leave unless it is an emergency.
4. STUDENTS ARE TO ALWAYS ASSUME THAT WE WILL BE PLAYING EVERYDAY UNLESS TOLD OTHER WISE.
5. Students are given 4 minutes (6th Grade Brass/Percussion = 3 minutes) after the tardy bell to be in their seat with all materials ready for class.
6. Class begins with the "down beat" from the metronome. Students not in their seats with their instrument in playing position will receive points off of their daily participation grade. If a student is not prepared more than 3 times per week, the student will receive silent lunch.
7. If a student leaves their materials in the Middle School building, they will be required to return to the building and retrieve such items. However, the student WILL receive a tardy.
8. If a student does not have their instrument (reeds,sticks, pads) they are to immediately complete the written assignment given. (1. Select a magazine from the wall, 2. Select an article, 3. Write a brief summary of the article). Students will be allowed to work on other work AFTER they complete this assignment.
9. For each day a student does not have his/her instrument in class, 10 points are removed from their Weekly Participation Grade (1 day = 90% Weekly Participation, 2 days = 80% Weekly Participation, etc.) Students who have instruments in the shop for repair will NOT be penalized, but will still need to complete any written work.
10. A student must present a note from their mother, school nurse, or doctor for them to be excused from playing that day. If a note is present, the student will be excused for the day, but will still need to complete any written work.
11. Students are expected to participate, make a positive effort, and remain engaged in the learning process.
12. During playing tests, students will sit quietly and respect whomever is currently playing; to wait patiently for his/her turn. The students are encouraged to clap and cheer for ALL students who perform no matter their playing level or ability.
13. At the conclusion of class, each section will be dismissed one-at-a-time to pack up their instruments and prepare to be dismissed. ALL INSTRUMENTS WILL BE RETURNED TO THEIR PREVIOUS AREAS OF STORAGE. NO INSTRUMENT WILL BE LEFT ON THE FLOOR. NO INSTRUMENT WILL BE LEFT UNLATCHED.
14. Students will be asked to scan their area to make sure no trash, music, papers or instruments are left out.
15. Students will be dismissed in an orderly fashion.
16. Students are to exit the building through the double doors in which they came unless they have PE, Performing Arts, or Spanish afterwards.